Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Facing the Dragon

Yesterday's scripture readings were perfect, especially the Old Testament.  I saw them rather late in the day, but they encouraged me, and I'm rereading them today.  Sirach (2:1-11) cautions anyone who comes to serve the Lord to "prepare yourself for trials."  It goes on, giving sound advice about withstanding them--being steadfast and patient, trusting in God and His mercy.  

The psalmist says, "Commit your life to the Lord and He will help you."  It takes perseverence, a lot of prayer, and the support of family and friends, but dragons can be defeated.  But, there's more:  "Take delight in the Lord, and he will grant you your heart's requests."   I have to admit that, since my conversion, God has given me more than I ever dreamed possible.  My writing career is a little different than I imagined; still it gives me so much joy.

Last, in the Gospel, Jesus says that whoever would be the greatest must be the servant of all.  It's so very difficult to set aside our own agenda, our egos and desires.  But, each time we fail, we can start again.  Smack that dragon!  Show God our commitment to serve Him and each other by beginning anew.  Wherever you are, dear reader, if you're striving, know that I am too.  We can do it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment