Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Creating Peace

Last night I watched a video that really brought home to me the plight of people in the Middle East, especially those fleeing Syria.  Thank God that Jordan's king is keeping the borders open for refugees; and thank God for organizations like Caritas, which are helping them, too.

I was reminded that peace begins in the heart of every human being on earth, first and foremost with my own.  I need to focus on the truth that every person is my brother or sister in the human family.  Yes, some of those brothers and sisters do terrible things, and there must be punitive consequences; but violence should be a last resort, used only when every other means has been exhausted or proven ineffective.  Compassion needs to be extended to everyone, and efforts made to truly understand others.

I'm going to set the alarm on my cell phone to ring every day at noon, so that I can create peacefulness in my heart and pray for peace in the world.  I don't agree with all of John Lennon's philosophy, but I want to quote him here about my hope for peace:  "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.  I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one."

Thank you for reading, and have a peace-filled day.

No comments:

Post a Comment