Friday, September 20, 2013

Referred Joy?

I'm sure that you've heard of referred pain.  Maybe you've even experienced it.  I did a few weeks ago when--out of the blue--my neck suddenly hurt, and a lot.  For a while, my slightest movement sent pain shooting through it.  The usual remedies--ibuprofen, ice, heat, rest--helped some, but not enough.  When I finally visited the doctor, he said that I actually hurt a muscle in my shoulder, my trapezius (I knew I shouldn't have swung from that trapezius).  That strained muscle was sending pain and stiffness into my neck:  referred pain.

An idea grew out of my experience.  We often share suffering, the physical or emotional trials that we have in life, and our friends and family often suffer with us.  (Compassion has its roots in words that mean "to suffer with.")  This is a sort of referred pain, too.  When we share our joys, they celebrate with us.  This could be called "referred joy."

But, there's something more.  I think that we also need to share something beautiful or inspirational with others in any way that we can, but especially through social media.  There's so much ugliness, so many negative messages--and some are lies or hoaxes meant to instill fear--that we need to share Beauty and Truth.  It will have a ripple effect.

My friend, dear reader, let's do this together today.  Let's share not only what is good or joyful in our own lives, but let's share Good in all its forms:  Love, Beauty, Truth, Kindness.  It could be something as simple as a smile that lifts someone's heart and mind, and brings them a bit of referred joy.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment